Saturday, November 8, 2008

Uniting the Americans


When I watched John McCain's concession speech on Tuesday night, I immediately thought of our first unit in class: what does it mean to be an American? Looking back on my notes, I had written the question "do American values demonstrate individualism or community?" I believe that John McCain completely addressed the value that the community is greater than the individual. He did this in convincing his supporters that even if they disagree with some of his policies, they should still respect him because he is going to be our president, and the leader of the American community for the next four years. "These are difficult times for our country, and I pledge to him tonight to do all in my power to help him lead us through the challenges we face. I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him but offering our next president our goodwill and earnest effort to find ways to come together." The words "come together" show that McCain is putting aside his personal loss of the election to embrace the value of community during the difficult (perilous) times.


"Tonight more than any night I hold in my heart nothing but love for this country and for all its citizens. Whether they supported me or senator Obama, I wish godspeed to the man who is my former opponent and will be my president." At this point when watching the speech, I felt incredibly inspired by his words and started crying. Losing is never an easy thing, but McCain was able to not only lose graciously, but inspire all the Americans watching his speech to become united.

1 comment:

Cristina Meehan said...

Aw Kolbe I'll give you a tissue HIs SPEECH WASS RLLY GOOD! I agree totally that he exemplified the community aspect of our government and showed the example for his followers that it was their time to move on and now join the rest of their nation under Obama. I also wonder if he truly meant what he said. I felt he was very sincere in his delivery and that he did truly mean it but did it connect with his followers the same way. Did the Republican people take in his community pledges the way he wanted them too? only time will tell